Protect Your Pet From These Home Renovation Hazards

With spring finally here, you may be planning some home improvement projects such as repainting your living room or maybe renovating your floors. Whatever repairs you are planning on, you should keep in mind that your pet's curiosity could land them in trouble.  Therefore, before you start drilling, painting and so forth, read on for some home fixer-upper hazards that could hurt your pet.


Older homes were typically painted using lead paint that can be very harmful to pets. To be on the safe side, purchase a lead testing kit and test your home for lead, as the paint can flake off and get airborne during scraping and end up being ingested by your cat or dog as they groom themselves. If you notice your pet experiencing muscle tremors, coordination issues or seizures, they may be suffering from lead poisoning and should be taken to a vet for immediate treatment.

If your pet rubs on water-based paint, bathe them with warm, soapy water to remove as much of it as possible before they start licking it off their fur. For oil-based paints, let them dry and then clip the stained fur out. Be sure to avoid using turpentine or paint thinners to remove paint from your pet, as these products can cause chemical burns to the skin.

Spackle and project-byproducts

If you're using spackling paste to cover small dents on your walls, you need to keep your dog away from the working area, as the product can be a tempting treat for him. If ingested, the spackling paste can cause gastrointestinal obstruction, where large pieces of the spackle aren't able to pass through your pet's digestive system. If your dog starts vomiting or showing signs of disorientation, take him to the vet immediately.

Leftovers from your renovation projects such as sawdust, tile grout and drywall, may also be ingested by curious pets, causing serious health problems such as gastrointestinal blockage and electrolyte imbalance. Be sure to clean up any leftovers from your working area to prevent such health problems.

Fiberglass insulation

Fiberglass insulation may resemble cotton candy, but it can cause serious mouth irritation and gastrointestinal blockage if ingested. Be sure to take your pet to a veterinary clinic if they happen to accidentally ingest this product to prevent serious health complications. You should also bathe your cat or dog in soap and water if they happen to rub up against the insulation so as to prevent skin irritation.

To keep your pet safe, consider putting up a baby gate to keep them out of your working area or board them at a kennel until your home repairs are complete.