Popular Garden Plants That Are Toxic To Pets

Are you a gardener? Are you thinking about getting a new puppy or kitten? If so, you may want to be wary of what you plant in your garden.

As you may already know, many things that are safe for humans to consume are toxic for pets. You may already know that grapes and raisins are toxic to dogs, but many people don't always discuss what garden plants may be dangerous. If you want to know how to keep your new animal friend from becoming ill, here are a few plants that should definitely be avoided:

Tulips: Tulips are an extremely popular springtime flower. They can often be found in your local grocery store as either bulbs in pots or as cut flowers. Unfortunately, if your puppy or kitten decides to nibble on these blooms, you're looking at a trip to your local veterinary hospital. Symptoms of ingestion include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and difficulty breathing. If you already have these planted in your garden, you'll want to watch your puppy or kitten to make sure that he or she doesn't eat any while outside. If you don't already have them planted outside, you may want to refrain from doing so until you can be certain that your pet isn't going to nibble on everything.

Elderberry: If you love elderberry jam, jelly, juice and wine, you may be disappointed to hear that elderberries can harm your furry friends. If your pet decides to chew on the plant, he or she may eventually consume enough to fall into a coma. Whether or not you keep horses or know someone who keeps horses, it may also surprise you to know that elderberry is toxic even to them; an animal that eats only plants. If you think that your cat or dog has been chewing on your elderberry plants, you need to get him or her to your nearest veterinary hospital as soon as possible. The sooner your pet receives treatment, the more positive the outcome is likely to be.

Tomatoes: Tomatoes are a staple of many home gardens. You might even feel like your garden is incomplete if it doesn't include at least one or two tomato plants. But this plant is, once again, one that is toxic to pets. While a small amount may or may not do any harm, younger animals should be taken to your nearest veterinary hospital for observation if you think that they have eaten tomatoes or tomato plants. Ripe tomatoes are usually okay, if just a few are consumed, but your pet doesn't know how to remove or avoid the more toxic stems and leaves. 

If you think your pet has consumed any of these plants, take your pet to a local veterinary hospital, such as Metzger Animal Hospital, and avoid planting these plants in the future.